Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Head installation on 91 chevy s10 2.5L chevy how to install

Customer Question

Head installation on 91 chevy s10 2.5L chevy how to install rocker arms correctly
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

you just need to know how to install the rockers ?

are the pushrods in place and the head torqued down already ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the head has been installed and torqued down. do the valves to be adjusted on 91 chevy s10 2.5L engine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how do i install the rockers correctly
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

no the pushrods are put in place and then the rockers in place then just torque down all the rocker to 22 ft lbs

that is all you have to do there is NO adjustment needed at all

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what is the max head torque for the engine
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hello, what is the max head torque for the engine
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

the head torque is done in stages as seen here

1. Apply sealant to threads of bolts indicated in Fig. 2.
  2. Tighten bolts in three steps using sequence shown, Fig. 2. On 1987 models, torque all bolts to 18 ft. lbs., then torque all bolts except No. 9 to 29 ft. lbs. Finally, tighten all bolts except No. 9 an additional 120°and bolt No. 9 an additional 90°. On 1988-92 models, torque all bolts to 18 ft. lbs., then retorque all bolts except No. 9 to 27 ft. lbs. Finally, tighten all bolts an additional 90°.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how can you tell if the engine is gone after completing all these steps
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

gone how so ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i heard a pop while trying to cranck it yesterday it back firing
.. i just want know if it could be possible gone
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

if the compression is low or reading 0 in a cylinder or all of them is a sign a valve is sticking open or is bent or the timing is off

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
compression is low but no valve is bend
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

if the compression is low then the timing is off or the valves are not sealing when closed

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
what do u mean about::::::: the valves are not sealing when closed
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

if there is low compression the cylinder can not make good compression from either the valves when closes are sealed in to the valve seats or the timing chain is off time where it has jumped or broken