GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 1994 GMC 2500 pickup that does nothing when I turn

Customer Question

I have a 1994 GMC 2500 pickup that does nothing when I turn the key forward no gauges no radio windows don't work the dome light and headlights will turn on what could be the problem
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: I do not know if it has a wheel lock feature it was running fine and it just died out while I was driving it
JA: What is the model of your '94 Chevy?
Customer: I'm sorry it's actually a 94 GMC 2500 Sierra SLE
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have checked the fusible links coming off the battery I have checked to make sure there is power to the starter and the alternator but the key will not do anything
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that pretty much sums up what I know about it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 4 months ago.

Have you checked the ignition switch? What about the voltage at all the fuses and fuse links, your problem sounds like a faulty ignition switch this will be easy to determine just take a voltmeter or test light and check your fuse box in truck see if they get hot when you turn the key to on, if not drop the column down and check at the switch itself