Cary York
Cary York,
Experience:  Auto Tech at Certified Auto Repair
94946450

95 s10 2.2 62k miles tried to downshift clutch did not

Customer Question

95 s10 2.2 62k miles tried to downshift clutch did not reengage no funny noises coasted to shoulder wrecker took it home next day clutch working like it should Hydraulic lock HOW
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

it is possible for the fluid to have dampness[water] in the system

and wen it got hot,,the water steamed causing a vapor lock..

it would be a good idea to flush the system with new dot fluid

that is why it started back working after it cooled

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I teach hydraulics and your explanation is not plausible , even if the fluid had absorbed moisture the ensuing steam would come back through the master cylinder check valve and NOT hold the clutch out

hi

yes it is possible..the water trapped between the fluid can get hot and vaporize then separate the fluid..same concept as a vapor lock

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I understand vapor lock but where would the heat be generated from in a clutch line, and vapor certainly wouldn't hold the clutch disengaged vapor is by its very nature is compressible and the clutch springs would force the vapor(gas) back into the master cylinder

please stand by,,i will opt out,maybe one of the other guys would be better to assist you.

someone will be right with you

thanks

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

New expert here

when this happened you pushed down on the clutch pedal and did the clutch disengage off the flywheel and stay disengaged when you then left off the clutch pedal or it would not disengage when you pushed on the clutch pedal ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
as I said the clutch did not reengage it was held open until time passed, and now works as it should, although this sounds like a hydraulic lock I can not believe the check valve in the master cylinder would fail closed and then heal itself
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

i agree with you

if the clutch did not reengage on the flywheel when your foot was left off of the clutch pedal then the slave or the master is usually the issue unless there is a throw out being issue or pressure plate as if the bearing is sticking on the input shaft it can keep the disc off the flywheel

if this is operating fine now after the tow home then i would change the slave cylinder and the brake fluid in the clutch system and see if it acts up again if it dopes and the throw out bearing is not binding at all then replace the clutch master

there is no check valve in these master cylinders

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know what happened to my response ,it disappeared . I am looking for an explanation, not to just replace components the check valve I referred to is actually a foot valve that closes the fluid from the reservoir when the slave is pressurized there is no evidence of contaminants in the reservoir and inserting a hot iron into the fluid produced no steam so hygroscopic moisture is ruled out , in your experience can the slave cylinder bind mechanically then resume normal behavior?
Expert:  Cary York replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated. I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Put a clutch slave and clutch master cyl on it. Bleed it out good. That will fix it or prevent the intermittent problem from happening again.