Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician
Experience:  25 years automotive experience, Certified Subaru Tech and Nissan factory trained.

05 Malibu, 164000 miles( recently purchased) sluggish on the

Customer Question

05 Malibu, 164000 miles( recently purchased) sluggish on the acceleration and the check engine light flashes when I hit 30 mph and shuts when I get under 30
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Light stays on until 30mph is reached and stays flashing until I get under 30. Seems to run ok while I am driving. Had O Reilly's check for codes and they say 02 censor but I think it's more than that
JA: What is the model of your '162000 Chevy?
Customer: Malibu
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Myself until it's something I don't know how to do, I wanted to try cleaning the mass air flow sensor, change the plugs and wires and the fuel filter to see if that helps
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When I first purchased car the cruise control was working, now when I tried to set it this morning the cruise light popped on and shut immediately not sure if both issue are related
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 months ago.

Hi there,

The O2 sensors will not cause the check engine light to flash, this is normally due to ignition failure causing a misfire. I think it is a good place to start with the plugs and wires, and you may want to put a new set of coils on it as well. The O2 sensor code, depending on which code it is, could be a result of the misfire. If it's not burning clean, then it can cause issues with the O2 sensors. Sounds like the best place to start is with a full tune.

As for the cruise, it's likely unrelated to this concern, but once this concern is taken care of we will see. It's also possible the cruise switch is the problem.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!