George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years

How much oil to put in my Ac compressor 1998 Chevy truck.

Customer Question

JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: System was not working. Change the accumulater and condenser And now the Ac compressor. Need to know how pag oil to put in Ac compressor
JA: What is the model of your '98 Chevy?
Customer: K1500. 5.7 l
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just replacing the parts then have a Ac guy charge the system for me
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Umm the direction with the Ac compressor tells me to drain old compressor and use it as a reference. But. The old compressor has no oil in it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 3 months ago.

Hello I will help,

If you don't drain any oil out of the old compressor install 2 ounces of ne PAG in the new compressor. Most new compressors are filled so drain it first and refill with 2 ounces.

Let me know how I can help

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if their is 3 oz of fluid in the new compressor fill it up with 3. Or put 2 in. I put some oil in accumulater (2oz ) and condenser(3)oz. and changed the orcifer tube ..

No, if you already have 3 ounces in the compressor do not add more. If you put 3 ounces in the condenser see if you can pull some out. It should have 1 ounce.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The instruction said 3 oz But I can drain 2 oz out. .. And also on the instruction it said to drain the oil on the new compressor .. And dispose the oil in it and put new pag oil in .. Could this be like a storage oil ??

No, in the compressor it is 2 ounces but if you have 3 that is OK. The condenser need to be drained out if you have 3 ounces in there.

Yes the compressors are filled and you need to drain them and refill with new oil. The oil can pick up moisture so if the system or the bottle is open you need to vacuum for several hours to get the moisture out.