Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

Can I replace a fuel pump on a 2002 cavalier at home?

Customer Question

can I replace a fuel pump on a 2002 cavalier at home?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

On this vehicle, the Fuel Pump is located inside the fuel tank. To access the pump, the fuel tank will need to be removed from the vehicle. This is a job that is better with two people, as the tank can be a little awkward to drop down and remove with just one person. Four hands and extra balance really helps a ton here. Once removed, remove the snap-ring holding the pump assembly in the tank, and the pump assembly will "spring up" a bit and can then be removed. So, yes, if you have some previous experience and can get someone to help you lower and raise the fuel tank, definitely a job a DIY'er can do at home. If you do not feel this is a job you can handle, you may want to shop around. The estimate of $700 is a bit on the high side. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!