Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

My 2000 454 Chev will start right up when cold. Let it sit

Customer Question

My 2000 454 Chev will start right up when cold. Let it sit for hal hour after it is warmed up and it has to crank for 15-30 seconds to start. Also not sure it is related but when asking for power at the 1700 rpm mark in high gear she will miss. Problem is worse when the temperature outside is warmer. New cam sensor, crank sensor, and heads were doen
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: original transmission 120, 000 miles. no have not checked the brake switch
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2000 3500 Truck
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my mechanic has been working on ity. Just trying to get to the bottom of the problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Have your mechanic test fuel pressure both with engine cold and at normal operating temperature. With the ignition ON, engine OFF, fuel pressure should be 55-62 psi.

If fuel pressure OK, have him test the exhaust system for possible restriction.

Please let me know what your mechanic finds.