Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Pearl, I have an 09 chevy Colorado. Three times now, after I

Customer Question

Pearl, I have an 09 chevy Colorado. Three times now, after I have driven and go to start the engine, I get nothing. All the dash lights light up and the security emblem blinks and nothing happens. Everything is locked up. I have found that if I am patient, wait 10-15 minutes it starts just fine. What do I need for this beauty...?
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: ginny schuerman No, but why would it start by just waiting? and the security light blinks. I will check them.
JA: What year is your Colorado?
Customer: It is an 05.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Am taking it to the garage Friday... Just thought I could tell them what they might need, because of course, it won't happen for the mechanic...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

your passive anti-theft device is being triggered by a faulty ignition switch

1-Get a new switch from dealer , it come with new key and lock cylinder but the cylinder key tumblers will come separate , just take the whole bag to a lock smith he will put the tumbler together for you and then you can install it

2-after you install, needs programing , you can use a scanner , if you dont have one

follow these steps

1- Turn ignition from off to on and wait 10 minutes

2- the key/ security yellow light should go off after 10 minutes ( wait for it ,dont walk away ) :)

3- as soon as it turns off , turn switch from on to off wait 10 secs

4- repeat step 1 , 2 and 3 , 3 times

5- on the 3 time turn switch from on to off, then back to on and start the vehicle . that should program it , if it failed repeat again , most time the failure because 30 minutes with switch on battery goes below the 11.5 needed for programming so hooking up a battery charger while performing the programing is essential

i have include the diagram for the switch

Hope I was helpful to you , Please let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open For You to Come Back and ask me any Follow up Questions you may have on this issue Even after you Rate Me.

Thank You
Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)