Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Have a 2009 Equinox in our shop, we previously repaired a

Customer Question

Hi, have a 2009 Equinox in our shop, we previously repaired a PO171 code, and sent the car out. Customer has driven approx 1000 miles with no CEL, or drivability issues, but then went to have the emissions test required by our state. 2 monitors have still not run EGR and EVAP. It appears that conditions are not correct to run the monitors-here in Phoenix the temps do not drop below the 86 degree F. maximum threshold to run the monitor. With 2 different scan tools, we have attempted to run the service bay test to force the evap monitor to run, but with no sucess- the tests repeatedly abort.( the service bay test raises the temp threshold to 70 degrees C.-around 160 degrees F.) I suspect this may be due to my inability to keep the RPM at a steady 1800-2200 RPM required by the test. This is difficult to do on a vehicle with electronic throttle in park. Would a GM approved scan tool be helpful, or am I overlooking something else?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. It appears that you have covered everything. The only other thing you can do is either get then PCM reprogrammed/updated to the latest software available or simple replace the PCM itself. Sometimes stats or counties that do emissions offer a TAC (technical assistance center) where you can bring these trouble some vehicle into and they will help get these monitors to run and or simple provide a waiver for the trouble some vehicle. You may want to look into that.