Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

2003 Venture will not start. Security light is blinking,

Customer Question

2003 Venture will not start. Security light is blinking
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: flashes between szec, and battery
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing really, just disconected and reconnected the battery Repalced ign. cly a few weeks ago had old chip to bypass pK 3 reader
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked?

Have you done the security relearn at all?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What is the Security relearn? Tried the 3 x 10 mins no luck
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Try this procedure here and see if it works.If this is the procedure you have already followed let me know.

30-Minute Relearn Procedure
Use this procedure after replacing the following components:
- The passkey III (PK3) keys
- The theft deterrent control module
- The PCM, see important above

1. With a master passkey III key (Black), turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

IMPORTANT: This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with option code (Z49 or BAE).If replacing a theft deterrent control module with an GM SPO Replacement Part, perform the procedure to setup a new theft deterrent control module prior to the 30-minute relearn procedure.

2. Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

5. With a master passkey III key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
have key in on position, security light is still on after 12 mins
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

O.k.,this indicates that a security component is at fault here.

You will need to have the codes read out with a scan tool that can plug in and communicate with the engine computer,body computer and instrument cluster to see what codes are set.This will help pinpoint which component is at fault here needing repaired or replaced to correct this fault.

I have seen issues with the pass lock sensor at the ignition cylinder as well as the body computer needing replaced for this fault here.If you can get these codes read out and post them here this will help just let me know.If not this will have to be diagnosed by a facility that can read out these codes to locate and replace the affected component.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete