Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years working on imports and domestic cars
17920890

2010 chevy equinox 4 cylinder all wheel drive. I m stationed

Customer Question

Hi, 2010 chevy equinox 4 cylinder all wheel drive. I m stationed in Germany took my car to get looked at a German mechanic he gave me 3 codes.
P011 intake camshaft position system performance
P0172 fuel trim system rich
P0300 Engine misfire.
My check engine light is intermittent goes off after 24-72 hours. Comes back on about 3 weeks later. I read it could be my camshaft sensor or intake sensor. What is the best solution? I'm trying to safe money since i will repair in euro and everything is expensive. Is there a chevy dealer any wear here?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So your p0011 code is the most likely cause of the other 2. But the cause of it could be a number of things. Including a bit of sludge caught in the actuator solenoid. Has the oil been changed regularly?Here's what my info says on the code.P0011 CHEVROLET - Intake Camshaft Position System PerformancePossible causes
- Dirty Oil
- Low engine oil level
- Faulty Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid
- Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid harness is open or shorted
- Intake Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
The Camshaft Position (CMP) actuator is attached to each camshaft and is hydraulically operated in order to change the angle of the camshaft relative to Crankshaft Position (CKP). The CMP actuator solenoid is controlled by the control module. The control module sends a pulse width modulated 12-volt signal to a CMP actuator solenoid. The solenoid controls the amount of engine oil flow to a CMP actuator. The CMP actuator can change the camshaft angle a maximum of 25 degrees. The control module increases the pulse width to accomplish the desired camshaft operation.
Also you may want to take the solenoid off and clean it. If that doesn't fix it we replace a lot of them and the actuators.Then recheck and see if you still get the p0300 code after this gets fixed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I bought it used about a 2 months ago has about 80k miles. The guy i bought it from on base did all the services himself. He says he did, now I think about it he said he replace a senor one of two senors under the air fllter cover. I don't know what sensor it was.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But yes i changed the oil like the next day i had synthetic oil added.
Ok so go ahead and clean or replace the solenoid then. It's a common failure part.
Let me know what happens
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Thanks
Sonny