GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My 1994 Chev 6.5 diesel frequently dies, shortly after it

Customer Question

My 1994 Chev 6.5 diesel frequently dies, shortly after it has been started. On occasion it dies after it has been running and is in motion. To restart it requires letting the glow plugs relight and then vigorous pumping of the accelerator while constantly holding the starter on. My mechanic has replaced the fuel return lines and the injector drive module (twice). The latter repair tends to work for 2-3 years before the problem recurs. Each repair has run between $430-$550. Is there another possible solution, or is this going to be the new normal. We pull a trailer, and while this has not happened while towing, when it does happen I lose my power steering and my brakes. Thus no trailer trips without a solution. Thanks for your help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tom replied 3 months ago.

Ok did they bleed the fuel system correctly as well as replace the fuel filter and check the glow plug relay ?