Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.

I have been having an electrical issue with my Chevy Blazer

Customer Question

I have been having an electrical issue with my Chevy Blazer lately.
On the instrument cluster the lights behind the speedometer, and rpm meter don't work. Only the check engine light abs airbag etc work along with the mileage meter and the gear selector. The dimmer doesn't work either, all the other buttons on the headlight switch work though. Also the compass and digital thermostat on top don't work either.
This happened a while ago. I noticed smoking coming off of the headlight switch one day when the lights were on. After that the symptoms I listed occurred. I noticed that on my driver side turn signal light assembly was half full of water. I drained it and used silicon to seal the sides. Then I changed fuse number 12 which had blown. Symptoms were still present. I ordered a gm original headlight switch, I changed it and it worked for a couple of seconds then it stopped working again. This time it didn't burn the #12 fuse. I want to know how I can fix this issue because I am unable to see my fuel gauge or engine temp gauge at nights and my compass doesn't work either.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect the wiring connection at the head light switch and see if the terminals are burned or spread open.In allot of cases when the head light switch fails it causes this issue here with the connector and the connector usually needs replaced.If this is checked and found o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Pete,So I just took off the dash cover to inspect the two connections to the headlight switch and visually there is nothing wrong. No sign of burning or melting on there, all the wires are in perfect order.
I did however notice a couple of things that I didn't know before.
1-On the initial post I said that the compass/temperature reader does not work but I noticed that if the car is on and the parking brakes are pressed in then it does work. Once the parking brake is released (and when headlights turn on along with it) the compass/temp reader goes completely off.
Also when the car is on and the parking brake is pressed in, when I turn the headlights switch from automatic to the two on positions(10:30 and 12 o clock) then the compass/temp reader goes completely off and the gear indicator and mileage reader lights brightness goes down significantly.Let me know if you need me to do any tests. I have a multimeter as well if that can help. I also attached a short video showing u what happens when I turn the switch. 5 mb was the file limit so it is pretty short.Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sorry apparently the system doesn't allow for mp4 formats which is what the video is in. If you really need the video(which is me doing what I just wrote) I could email it to you.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Is anything after market wired into your model at all like a remote start or alarm system?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Nothing like that.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

This is a tough one for me to answer myself here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete