Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have a 2007 chevy hhr and it has not been driven month or

Customer Question

I have a 2007 chevy hhr and it has not been driven for a month or 2 , I just started it up and it was missing a little at first but then it smoothed out . I took it for a drive and noticed the speedometer was not working and it would not shift out of low gear into high on the transmission. Help BILL
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Let me know what engine came in this and I'll tell you which fuse to check for the speed sensor and/or the speedometer/transmission. Also, if it's 2wd, 4wd or awd.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

If it's the 2.2, check the ECM/Trans fuse 43 in the underhood fuse block next to the left strut tower.

If the 2.4, same fuse.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

You may also want to check the ECM/TCM fuse 25 in the body control module (BCM) located below the radio.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The 43 fuse is O.K. on the other fuse where below the radio, there is just a coin tray and the logo HHR
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

The BCM is (UNDER CENTER DASH, BELOW RADIO, ON RIGHT SIDE OF CENTER CONSOLE)

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

You should be checking fuses with a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light cause a lot of times another fuse may feed a fuse or in this case fuse 43 isn't hot until the key is on run/start so it's probably fed by the ignition switch. Also test both sides of the fuse, that way you can test both that the fuse isn't blown and plus that it has voltage to it, and turn the key on if it is usually hot with key on.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Actually 43 is fed from a relay.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Here are the wiring diagrams in case we need them anymore,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

here, this diagram shows the bcm,

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Find it yet?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
O.K. Mike it is dark here now and the car is outside so I will follow up tomorrow morning on this and let you know what I find. THANKS BILL
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

ok, if that fuse 43 has no voltage with the key on run, replace that "Run/Crank" relay in the underhood fuse block and try it again.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
O.K. Mike there is power to the 43 fuse and the 25 fuse has power and is not blown, what next? BILL
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is 12:06 P.M. and have not had a reply for 2 and 1/2 hours so decided to take it to a dealer to get it fixed. Please refund my payment for $24. THANK YOU