Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Love the picture.. Any who. I have a 2000 Chevy impala 3.8L.

Customer Question

Hey Pearl Love the picture.. Any who. I have a 2000 Chevy impala 3.8L. I insert the key and I hear a click no start up. Sometimes I have to try it several times before the car starts. Now it will not start at all. I took it to a chevy dealer he stated that there was a after market alarm installed in the car by the last owner. The alarm in preventing the car from starting. The chevy dealer repair wants $756.00 to get the car back to the original specs. I want to remove the ignition myself and possible starter. Any Ideas. to help.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No the engine no turn over at all just a click battery age not sure. I brought the car from someone. Battery maintains a good charge.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I want to fix it myself. Right now I jacked up the car. safety jacks emergency brake, braced tire. I checked out the starter no loose bolts, I looked at some You tube video. I have not remove anything yet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No I told him as much as I know. I do hear a click when you turn the key.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

when the ignition key is held to crank do you get 12 volts on the small purple wire at the starter solenoid when the key is held to crank ?

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer