Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Whole scenario....Just had car return from shop conditioner

Customer Question

Whole scenario....Just had car return from shop for air conditioner replacement. Car drove home great, no problems this tuesday. Wednesday we took it out for a drive, ran great, no problems.
Friday, we got in turned it on, sounded rough. Able to drive it a block then died. Turns over, idles ok, until you accelerate and it coughs chokes and dies.
Came home, looked under the hood to discover 5 baby mice housed above the manifold. All wiring on the plugs and manifold look fine. Air filter was chewed by mice.
When it starts, it fine, and idles hard. Any acceleration to the throttle, and it couphs, chokes, makes a low muffled sound from the throttle. and dies. Mechanic is stunned. Throwing codes that make no sense...blowing lean, mifire codes (which its not), and module 2 error. This is a 2008 chevy cobalt.
Mechanic is wondering if the mice could have ruined the mass air flow sensor, if its th O2 sensor, throttle body or just the entire Power control module....we need expert advice
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

can you tell me the exact code numbers it is setting ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The mechanic has those. I can try to get ahold of him
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

i am very curious on the code number set for the module 2 error

see if you can find out the code numbers first

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
hes not answering right now, Ill have to wait for a reply via text or call.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

that is fine knowing the code numbers set will steer us to the problem area

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I will respond when he gets back to me.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

sure thing

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He said there was no numerical codes. Module 2 not responding using live data on the diagnostic device. Unable to retrieve the code.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He wonders if its the MLF sensor that got plugged up by the mice
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

but you said it was throwing codes

what are the code numbers

if its throwing codes there should be code numbers

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are no numbers..but since last spoke.....weve now cleaned out the MAF and the throttle body. Sounds much better. Lots of Mice debis on the MIF. Now its throwing out Throttle body position sensor, and the inside dash says "low power" which correlates to the Throttle body positioning. TP sensor 1 and 2 error
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

usually with low power being lit up in the dash there is a throttle body issue itself causing this porblem

with no codes set and low power in the dash then either the MAF or the throttle body would need to be changed

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, Thank you. I will do that.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

anytime

dont forget to rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

how are you making out ?