GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a 2002 s10 pu. The 4x4 is clicking. Im not sure if

Customer Question

I have a 2002 s10 pu. The 4x4 is clicking. Im not sure if its a vacum hose or transfer case switch
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: coming from right front axle.I dont think the 4x4 is totally disengaging
JA: What is the model of your '02 Chevy?
Customer: S-10 pickup
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was going to try. Im just checking to see if I could figure out what wrong before I start
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

i, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

are the transfer case switch light keep flashing and you hear clicking from passenger side and then lights will stop and it will not transfer from 2wd to 4wd ?

Please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the lights are on. On the switch. I can hear the motor working. When I put it in 4high it goes in. When I put it in 2high it clicks like crazy
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hello

HEY SORRY I WAS HELPING ANOTHER CALL

What you need is the transfer case control module , located inside the truck on passenger side , I will send you a picture location for it

Transfer case module for 02 S10 blazer 4wd , passenger side below glove box on the right hand side of the interior frame .

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it goes in and out of 4x4

yes , it does that , that is the problem , it is a common failure on them or if it quits completely , usually it will be the transfer motor on the case not the module, but when it act crazy like that going back and forth , it will be the module itself , you can buy used, but i suggest a new one, the new ones has upgraded software in them, so u want have this problem again

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i have no problem with it going in and out of 4x4. Its clicking like its not coming out of 4high. you sure. I hate to buy a part thats not bad

yes all that you mentioned , it will do .

if you take it and get it scanned with GM tech II scanner and go in the Transfer case module, you can actualy run a test on it and confirm it is bad

that is what i will do before replacing parts if you want to be %100 sure, i m not standing next to it neither i have my scanner hooked up to it, but from what you described to me , that is the symptom of a failed module.

let me know if you need anything else on it . that module should be plug and play no programing needed.

Chad (aka-Jhook1398)

hey how are you

did you get fixed ?