sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

07 Chevy aveo. 1. Back up lights 't work, lamps fine. 2. Car

Customer Question

07 Chevy aveo.
1. Back up lights don't work, lamps fine.
2. Car won't start sometimes. Turn key on, lights radio everything comes on as usual, turn to start... Nothing. Seems to sometimes fix if you play with the steering wheel adjustment, shifter (manual) em. Brake. Other than that, let it sit, sometimes 20 min, sometimes 4 hours. It magically starts.
3. Sometimes turn signals stop working, if you turn flashers on, signals resume working.
4. Both passenger and driver airbag lights on. Passenger started first, couple of months later, driver came on.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You have a handful of different problems going on which will all require some electrical testing.

The starting issue may be related to the reverse lights, these could be a range sensor or sensor wiring issue.

The turn signal issue appears to be a bad flasher.

Has any testing been done for any of the issues?

Do you know what airbag codes are setting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I keep trying to reply, but it just keeps asking for another round of money???
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Now maybe this is working.The previous owner had the codes scanned. Everything showed clear.How do I get the airbag codes setting?Also do you have a wiring diagram for the range sensor? I am willing to just try changing it out, as the starting, and backup light issue is by far the most urgent, I just bought the car, and texas requires a safety inspection for registration, which includes the back up lights.

If the airbag light is coming on it's because fault codes are setting in the airbag module.

Has anything been done to try to repair the light issue?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, the prior owner was a young girl. She bought another car. Sold this one as is.The car is at my main home, but I'm out of town for work, so not onsite to work on it.
Do you have the blow up diagram of where the range sensor you mentioned is. If you can send that, I'll pay the question, and contact back when I'm actually back working on the car.

I'm unable to post material directly from the service information due to copyright but can help as necessary.

You haven't actually determined that the bulbs are good then?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The lamps were checked by me, I did say that in the original post. Just did not have it taken for electronic testing. That's my purpose for asking the question on here. Would rather try changing the sensor first. If it clears the issue, that's my immediate need.
On the past, others have sent me the diagrams, but if you can't, can you at least tell me the location of it in the car, so I don't have to spend 2 hours figuring it out??

Yes, you said that in the original post but then said nothing has been done to try to diagnose the problem.

If no testing has been done you wouldn't want to replace the range sensor on a guess.

Do you have a test light?

Have you checked fuse 5 in the box in the dash?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Yea do have a test light, multimeter as well. No haven't checked the fuse 5.
The day and a portion of the next I was there to work on it, but never saw the response. I understand that is not your fault.
I will check the fuse, but would think if it was a fuse it wouldn't be intermittent, as the fuse would blow, and problem would be more permanent??? I know the family I bought the car from, so I did question them pretty clearly for the symptoms. I did ask if they were replacing any fuses regularly, and the answer was no. Never had any issue there.

I wasn't aware the problem was intermittent. The reverse lamps sometimes work and sometimes not?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No the lights never work. My question was, if it was a fuse blowing, yes it would show some type of problem, but to get things working again, the fuse would have to be replaced.I guess if that is the only issue, the lights not working... That could be the issue, but if it's tied to the intermittent starting issue, the fuse does not make sense. I'll start there.

Yes, if the fuse is blown it will need to be replaced.

The first step in diagnosing the reverse lamp problem is to check the fuse. If the reverse lamps never work and the starting problem is intermittent then the problems aren't likely to be related.