Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

I have pulled a chev. 6 window sedan six cylinder out in

Customer Question

I have pulled a chev. 6 window sedan six cylinder out in field. my problem is it has wire wheels like a 28-31 ford the large wire wheels. I have information job #31569,body #F 5539, trim #3, Paint #79. Engine has 2638I43. Please help what year is this car?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is this the first time you're dealing with this issue?
Customer: mileage is unknown. Yes my first chevorlet, looking at pictures the wire makes it look like a 1928 older?
JA: What is the model of your '1928 Chevy?
Customer: it is a 6 window, 4 door sedanis all I know.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I hope to fix it myself and I have just towed it out of the field and to my house
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No that is all we know?I do need a parts manuals, A restoration manual, and how to replace the missing and rotten wood? But first I need to know the year to start the journey, very excited.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

This is the only website I know of that goes back that far, http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/

Let me take a look and see what I can find out.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

It says here that in late 1928 Chevrolet discontinued the 4 cyl and started making the 6 cylinder international engine, so according to this it must be at least a 1929.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/ChevyStory/cs05.htm

Expert:  Mike S. replied 8 months ago.

It appears they were wire up until 1936, so that just about narrows it down to between 1929-1936.