Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering

I have a 1997 chevy 3500 7.4 having problems on my way home

Customer Question

I have a 1997 chevy 3500 7.4 having problems on my way home I had a problem my truck started trying to bog down when I pressed the gas pedal I was able to make it home by constant pressing on gas pedal . so I changed oil pressure switch ,the spark plugs and wires,i cleaned the throttle body with cleaner. now the truck will start and run fine .then I give it gas and try to go faster then it tries to bog down again last year I installed new fuel pump and filter this just started happening a day ago what could be the problem
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

You will want to check the fuel pressure to see if it is too low. Also that the filter is not restricting the flow of fuel.

Then if the fuel pressure and flow are good, the exhaust may be a little bit restricted. You can have a back pressure test done on it at most exhaust shops to see if the cat is clogged.

If they are both ok, then you will want to take a sample of the fuel to be sure that it’s not contaminated.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can I try fuel cleaner

Sure can but it more than likely won't help if it is bogging down, thanks.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the test instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.

I do not have access to your email address,