Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I have a 2002 Chevy silverado that only blows cold AC air

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Chevy silverado that only blows cold AC air through the defrost. I have purchased a replacement mode door actuator and attempting to install, but the old actuator and cam are indexed differently than the new motor and cam i received - how do i install the new actuator/cam while it is indexed differently to the one i removed.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 3 months ago.

Hi there.

The actuator is the motor that moves the air door. Once the old actuator is disconnected, the air door should move freely to accommodate the new cam/actuator unit. If it's not, then that was what caused the old actuator to go bad. Lube the air door hinge and work it with your hand until it is completely free and there is minimal to no effort required to move it; then, move the air door to a position where the new actuator can be installed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There are two doors that are actuated by the cam from this actuator motor - the defrost door lever and the vent/floor door cam - the vent floor door cam moves freely. My question though is since the new actuator and cam arrived in a different position than the old actuator/cam - how do i install and index the new actuator cam assembly so that when it moves it is opening and closing the doors properly - right now, it is not aligned/configured the way the old one was. Does it not matter? Where do the teeth of the vent/floor door cam have to line up on the cam that i am installing with the new actuator? Itg would be easier to discuss this on the phone.