Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years experience with ASE Certs

I've got gas it turns over when I turn the key sounds like

Customer Question

I've got gas it turns over when I turn the key sounds like it wants to backfire but just doesn't quite have the energy to do it and won't start
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's in neutral with clutch peddle pressed to the floor
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: It's a 1995 s10 4 we v6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I really need to do it myself soon as possible I replaced the plugs wires distriburator cap and rotator I made sure to mark the old ones and put new on the same as old
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I had a friend wash it they hosed the engine area down I thought maybe water had gotten into the distributor cap replaced the old one that had water in it and the points had a lot of corrosion on them it ran fine before that hasn't started since
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Backfiring in most cases is usually caused by a spark timing concern. Can you tell me when the problem started. Was it running okay before you washed the engine and replaced the spark plugs wire? If so then I would start first with rechecking the firing order to make sure you have the wires in the correct order on the cap. See the enclosed diagram in the link below. Check the firing order and post back with the results and we can work from there if need be.