Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

My 2010 chevy Malibu has brake light issues, they are

Customer Question

my 2010 chevy Malibu has brake light issues, they are working in reverse. My EXC sensor is going off and I'm at a loss. I've switched out the brake light switch and it's still occurring. My car has been in for all recalls ( I double checked the vin).
JA: Have you checked the brake light switch? How about the fuses?
Customer: if you look at my question, I did replace the brake light switch
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: are you a computer?
JA: No. I'm the Chevy Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: well can I talk directly with him?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the engine liter size in your model here?

Are you saying the brake lights only work when shifted into reverse?

Has anything after market been installed/wired in at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Pete, nothing after market 2.4 L, the brake lights work reverse, so they turn off when I hit my brakes and on when I take my foot off my brake, also the ESC light.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,this sounds like the common fault with the BCM (body control module ECU).The brake switch sends a signal to the BCM and then the BCM sends the signal out to the brake lights.When the BCM is acting up like this here it causes this issue as well as can turn on the ESC light in some cases.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out of the BCM.This will require a scan tool plugged into your model that can communicate with the BCM to see the data signals from the BCM as well as read the fault codes to help pinpoint this as the cause here for sure.I suspect the BCM will need replaced.

The cost with labor for this can be around $500 and it has to be replaced with a new BCM as a used one is already programmed to a different model and cannot be put into another model and the new one will need programmed to your model by a GM dealer after it is installed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can we clean the BCM? or lubricate it with dielectric? Also, can I replace the BCM then go and get it programmed?
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

The BCM is a computer box with a circuit board and relays built into it so it cannot be cleaned and dielectric grease wont help when it fails or acts up like this here.Unfortunately it cannot be installed and then taken in for programming as the engine will not start until it is programmed so it is usually best to have it installed and programmed at the same time.

One thing you can try is to see if a local parts store can obtain one pre programmed ready to go for your model here.In some cases this can be done.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete