Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics

It's locked in park, 144000. No, 2004 trailblazer, Looking

Customer Question

It's locked in park
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 144000. No
JA: What is the model of your '142000 Chevy?
Customer: 2004 trailblazer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Looking on the internet
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It has the straight 6
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

When the shifter will not release from Park, first, check the brake lights and see if they are working when you step on the brake pedal.

If the brake lights are not working, check the fuse labeled "ST/LP" in the under-hood fuse block. If the fuse is good, the problem will be the Brake Light Switch, located under the driver's side dash, at the top of the brake pedal arm. This switch controls the brake lights and also sends a signal to the shift interlock telling it to release when the brake pedal is depressed. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the switch mount and contact points for any broken or misaligned parts. If the visual inspection checks ok, replace the brake light switch.

If the brake lights are working, the problem will lie in the shift interlock system. The shift interlock solenoid, located at the base of the shifter, under the lower concole cover, will need to be inspected and tested as well as the shifter assembly itself.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again! Ron Z here...
I am contacting you because the post has not been closed and is still unrated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help, as you have not left a rating.
Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help? Did you have any other questions? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to rate, please take a few seconds and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A. Rating our Q&A does not cost you extra!