Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My chevy 1500 6 cylinder is idling at 3000 if I turn it off

Customer Question

my chevy 1500 6 cylinder is idling at 3000 if I turn it off a couple time and start it without step on the gas peddle it will idle at 1000 can you tell me why.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Do you know what the TPS voltage is at idle when this happens? If it israding above a volt, the throttle plate may be stuck open. If it is reading below a volt, the throttle plate is most likely closed and air is entering the engine from another place.. like an air or a vacuum leak. (intake manifold gasket, air or vacuum line or even an internal vacuum leak like a stuck open EGR valve)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will work on check for any air leaks first and contact you again if it is ok. why the way what is a TPS voltage?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

The TPS is the throttle position sensor. It tells the computer how much the throttle plate is open by sending a voltage reading to the computer. With the throttle closed, it should be about .5 to 1.0 volt. As you step on the gas pedal, the throttle plate opens and the voltage increases up to about 4.5 volts or so at wide open throttle.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

YES, you can contact me at anytime in the future with questions.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!