Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

I have a 2009 Malibu hybrid that won't crank or start with

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 2009 Malibu hybrid that won't crank or start with the key. I can start the vehicle by bridging the starter relay. I know the car has a short somewhere because it will burn fuse #17 for the cooling fan when the car warms up. I can test the car but I need your guidance and electrical diagrams.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. It sounds like the starter relay is missing an input preventing it from working. You are going to want to check for two powers and one ground going into the relay with the key in the CRANK position. If all of the fuses are good and the ground going into the starter relay is good, then chances are you are missing a power from the ECM to activate the starter relay. This is very common. You could have a bad ECM or the ECM could be missing an input (power or ground preventing it from turning on or activating the starter relay). I would check the ECM and operation next and replace as needed. Here is a wiring diagram of the starting circuit.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you provide me a procedure on how to check the ecm to see if it is powering on and working properly.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

I would just check for a 5 volt refernece to the MAP sensor with the key on.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

The key will need to be in the "ON" position when checking for a 5 volt reference.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 3 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!