AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2000 express chevy van. The battery died and i jump

Customer Question

i have a 2000 express chevy van. The battery died and i jump started it - no problem. When I got home I let it run for a few minutes and then shut it off and tried to restart it but it just clicked - no start - low battery. OK - need new battery. REAL problem is the alarm. The button on the dash (which usually blinks slowly when the engine is off and not at all when the engine is running) is now flashing rapidly and i forget how or the combination of steps to get it back to the slow blink mode. Please help - Thank you. Jeannie (I used you about three years ago when the shop replaced my engine and my running lights didn't work. They cut the wires and forgot to reconnect them. You sent me a wiring diagram, told me what to do and every worked out fine, thanks to you!!!)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN or engine size?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Jasper replacement v8 engine. I would say call me but reception is bad
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Ok, give me a bit

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK will do. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think you turn the key to the "on" position and then press and hold the button OR press the button a couple of times but I don't remember the combination.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Whoops - think I forgot to say it's the alarm system button which flashes red.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Here is the reset procedure for your vehicle.

10 minute relearn procedure

Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY light. After approximately 10 minutes , the security light will turn OFF. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Pass lock Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds. Start the engine, the vehicle has now learned the voltage reading coming back from the ignition switch.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Will try that right now. do you remain on line or how do i let you know if it works or not.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Just reply back when you can. I will check back with you in about 30 minutes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you - Happy 4th - sorry but grateful you are working.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
security light doesn.t stay on only the battery and seat belt lights on the left side of the panel stay on but the alarm is nice and loud. don't forget when i got home from the battery being jumped i tried to start the van and just got click,click,click. Should I charge the battery first? Also, the alarm system has locked the engine from stsrting.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Maybe I should disconnect the battery - charge it - then reconnect it to give the system a brand new start???
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can II charge the battery while everything is still connectec?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Or rather, should I charge the battery? Are you still with me It's been a little over an hour now?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
Hello and sorry for the delay! Yes it sounds like the battery is low on a charge it the battery might just be bad
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
Just be sure the battery cables and connections are clean and tight.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you saying that I should charge the battery while it is still connected ? Will the alarm keep going off while I' charging the battery. Sorry but I didn't quite understand your answer.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
Did you replace the battery?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
If you can charge the battery without the alarm going off, the you can leave it connected. If the alarm won't go off then you will need to disconnect it while charging the battery.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
But the click click sound indicates low voltage. If the battery has not been replaced it may be necessary.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
What is the battery voltage at?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don;t know
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
It might just be a bad battery.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
I would charge it first and then replace it as needed if the problem continues
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
I am glad I can help! Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as excellent service.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This just happened yesterday so,I haven' replaced the battery. Won't I lose all the codes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
if the battery is disconnected the PCM will loose all memory
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you haven't answer my question about the alarm
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The answer you gave did not work
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I restore the codes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
Which codes? Are you talking about the radio codes or the code stored in the computer?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
You will have to program them into the radio again once you install the new battery.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
codes stored in the PCM
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
you don't want to restore the codes in the PCM.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have a radio alarm
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.
But if there's a problem with the emission system, the codes will reappear after so long
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry you lost me on that answer
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the PCM has idle engine rate ect
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a regular alarm system not a radio alarm
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Iknow there is a sequence to put it into valet mode what is it
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't do phone. No reception
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Ok, then please rate my answer now so we an continue.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

The battery issue needs to be addressed before you can do anything with the valet mode

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will wait until my battery issue is resolved before I can rate the alarm & valet mode original question.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Not a happy camper
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Signing off for now
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Hello and good morning. Please let me know once a new battery is installed and we can continue.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 months ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!