EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chevrolet Technician

Late 2007 duramax heavy duty 3500, engine runs smooth yet

Customer Question

late 2007 duramax heavy duty 3500, engine runs smooth yet reduced engine power light on dash. Engine still runs up to 2500 rpm with no power, maybe 10 miles per hour. Light usually comes on when the engine is under some sort of strain. Would bad injectors still let the engine run smooth?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 months ago.

Hi. If the injectors were bad the engine would not run smoothly. You may have a problem with a sensor or the injection pump. Those still allow the engine to run smooth but go into limp mode. You probably want to have the computer checked for codes to give you a idea of what could be causing this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have had it checked at a Diesel Injection Service Company. They said I had too high rail pressure return, but were not sure that fixing the injectors would help and could not tell me if they could fix it. The only thing they did was rebuild the fuel filter housing, and that did not help.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I also talked with another Diesel Injection Company that told me I needed to have high return rail pressure. Which one is right? And, would putting spacers at the beginning of the rail system help the problem?

The fuel return volume will vary depending on conditions. I do not know if putting spacers in will help anything since I dont know what is wrong yet. I would recommend at least getting the code checked in the computer to give me a direction to go. Since it goes into low power under load I would suspect not enough fuel. Injection pump or restricted filter. A scan tool is needed to check the desired and actual high side fuel pressure to see if the injection pump is working correctly.