sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Chevy Silverado 2007 (new style, gas), turn key but nothing

Customer Question

Chevy Silverado 2007 (new style, gas), turn key but nothing happens on dash for 3 or 4 seconds, then I get a message "Service Trailer Brake System". Truck won't start, doesn't show an underline below the P (Park) on the shifter like usual. Won't crank. I was messing around under dash. Worried I tripped something. Any suggestions?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Park
JA: What is the model of your '07 Chevy?
Customer: Also tried neutral.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: WT 4WD
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Tried disconnecting and reconnecting battery. No luck. I'm far from any service station. Hoping to fix this myself.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I suspect you either have a transmission range sensor related issue or the powertrain control module is not awake. If the PCM isn't awake it could be a loss of power or ground or an internal failure.

Does the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on?
Do you have a scan tool to check for PCM communication?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Auto door locks don't work, interior lights don't come on, and gauges are mostly dead (except warning lights and the trailer brake warning message noted above). When I check error codes, I don't get any. Before the problem, I disconnected the fuse box inside the driver's door to get access to run a wire. I'm not proud of it, but I did it without disconnecting the battery. Think I damaged the PCM in the process? Is it possible this just isn't seating right after I reconnected it and that is causing the problem?

Was there any arcing during the work?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, none.

Does the fuel pump run when the key is turned on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not sure. I think so. I do hear a humming.

Is it a code reader you're using or an actual scan tool?