Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

My 1987 chevy 305 c.i. conversion van won't start. It's

Customer Question

My 1987 chevy 305 c.i. conversion van won't start. It's getting fire and when I use starting fluid it will try to start for that short period, but when I stop spraying it stops. I can here the fuel pump running and I have change the gas filter. Can you help?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am hoping to fix it myself.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Can't think of anything else.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 5 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

from the way you explain,you are loosing fuel injector pulse,fuel isnt being sprayed into the throttle body

this can be caused by a couple of things,..

1-the ignition module-even though it does have a spark,a bad ignition module can kill the injector pulse...

2-the pick-up coil in the distributor,if it is the pick-up,you may just want to replace the complete distributor with a new rebuilt unit sense it will need to come out and apart to replace the pick-up

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.