Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

A freind is having issues where s battery is being drained

Customer Question

a freind is having issues where his battery is being drained for his 2000 impala i understan that there is an selennoid or trunk accuater that could be the culptate thanks david
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: yes it is hes had this problem for a while he just disconnect battery cable
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: he hasnt really tried anything just disconnects battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 12 months ago.

the only solenoid in the truck would be the trunk lock solenoid for the trunk latch assembly if you open the trunk and unplug it will it still draw the battery down ?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He hasn't tried. I just looked on line and found that someone asked the the question and someone told him it was the selenoid in trunk. I haven't told my friend that yet
Expert:  Gary replied 12 months ago.

these having draws like this can be alot of things

we have seen many things cause draws like this

hands down the 3 most big draws are the radio or gauge cluster or the BCM

there are 2 ways to go about this

doing a draw test with a meter and if the mili amp draw is over 50 pull one fuse at a time until the draw drops below 50 ma then what ever that fuse powers is the problem

OR unplug the radio and see if the battery still dies if not then the radio is bad and keep doing that with the electrical components starting with the radio

we have had a few with alternators and starters doing this so i would highly suggest a shop do a draw test so you do not guess on the issue if it still does this after you unplug the radio

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

how are you making out ?