Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have a 2007 Chevy Duramax c4500 diesel medium duty truck.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Chevy Duramax c4500 diesel medium duty truck. yesterday morning we started to warm it up as usual, the truck shut down within 3 minutes, we are used to the trucks doing that especially if they are parked in a bit of an incline. normally we prime the pump and they start right up. we had no sucess. the hand pump is not working there is no resitance. we checked fuel lines for obstruction found none. pulled off the top of the fuel filter and it seems fine. need help!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 5 months ago.

Hi there.

Which engine is in that truck, LBZ (8th digit on VIN "D") or LMM (8th digit on VIN "6")?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
6.6
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
diesel

Two different 6.6L engines were used on trucks made that year; which of those is in that truck, LBZ (8th digit on VIN "D") or LMM (8th digit on VIN "6")? How about the truck's VIN, do you have that?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As I stated on my original question, this is not a pick up truck . Its a medium duty Kodiak C4500 diesel, the whole vin # ***** 1GBE4C1237F413859

I'm sorry for the confusion, you're absolutely right in that it is a Medium size truck. GM put the same engines in some of these as they did in the pick-ups, as is it happens to be the case on this particular truck where the 8th digit of the VIN ("2") identifies the engine as a LMM Duramax.

The LMM suffers from a bad filter housing design where the "O" rings used to seal it deteriorate and cause no-starts. New assemblies can be purchased for less than $130 on ebay (click here for example). The filter assembly can be replaced in about an hour - please let me know if you need detailed instructions on how to do this and I'll upload those for you.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have already done that.

Are you saying the new primer pump that comes as part of the assembly is not working?

What happened? Did I lose you?