Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Turned 06 chevy cobalt on, engine began shaking and engine

Customer Question

turned 06 chevy cobalt on, engine began shaking and engine check like came on as well as a message saying engine power decreased, car wont go over 20 mph
JA: Does the engine spark at all? Is there a trouble code or is your "check engine light" on?
Customer: the engine turns on it just shakes a ton and the check engine light is on and a message saying engine power decreased comes on
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 06 cobalt lt
JA: What year is your Chevy?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: unplugged the battery which fixed the issue for about 3 minutes then it all happened again
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: that's all
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the throttle body assembly has failed which is about a $400 repair at a shop. The first thing you need to do is have diagnostic codes checked which can be done at your local parts store for free. If car can not make it to parts store they will usually let you barrow scan tool with a deposit. Let me know what codes you are getting and I can give you a more definite answer. Thanks.