Derek Werner
Derek Werner, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist
61695331

I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco that the Reduced Engine Power

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I have a 2012 Chevy Cruze Eco that the Reduced Engine Power light came on yesterday and I was googling to see what may be the cause and the fix for that since it came back on when I started my car this morning.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: I have auto headlights and assumed they were on, but did not drive in the dark to know if they were definitely on
JA: What is the model of your '12 Chevy?
Customer: I know it's an ECO can't think of the engine at this minute
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I haven't tried anything as it came on last night when I was on my way home from running errands and the book said it could possibly go off and not come back on but it did come back on this morning so I am just beginning to look into trouble shooting and proceeding further if I should need to with a mechanic or Chevy Dealer.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No car seemed to be running fine until yesterday, when I applied the brake this morning it feels jumpy
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am Derek, GM factory trained service technician. I will be happy to help you figure out the problem with your Chevy Cruise.

So the light is turning back on after you restart your car?

If so this is indicating the fault is current and needs to be diagnosed.

The most common cause for a reduced power light to come on is a problem with the electronic throttle pedal system, and electronic throttle body. A problem with the throttle body or throttle pedal will cause this light to turn on.

In order to avoid just testing multiple parts a scan tool is needed to pull the fault codes from the vehicle.

Most auto parts stores can do this for free. If you get your vehicle scanned i will be able to provide you with much more information about what may be going on.

I highly recommend getting your vehicle scanned first and you may be able to avoid a expensive trip to the dealership.

Let me know what the codes that are set, please provide the code numbers. And i will be able to give a better answer.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated. I will continue to work with you even after rated, and get notifications about any other questions you may have. I only strive for 5 star excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer.Derek W