Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Battery light came on. But car is running good and cranking.

Customer Question

battery light came on. But car is running good and cranking. Wondering whats wrong?
JA: Have you tested the battery? Have you tried testing the alternator?
Customer: Not yet
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just started yesterday. Going to get relatitive to check it out.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Thats it right now. Well Power steering is out. I know they have recall on that. Could that be part of problem?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

When the battery light comes on, this is the sign of a fault in the Charging System. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 9 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and unrated, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions on this?