GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Can't get the rear rotor off. I think the e bake pads

Customer Question

Can't get the rear rotor off. I think the e bake pads are holding it on? I tried pulling all the slack out of the brake cable and put visegrips on which left slack and that didn't help. Tried backing off the adjustment by moving it down that didn't work.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  chevygeorge replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm here to assist you today.

The rotors on your 3500 fully floating axle do not slide off like the 2500/3500 without dual wheels. Being a dually, your rotors require more work to get them off. You'll need to remove the 8 axle retaining bolts to slide out the floating axle shafts. This will gain you access to the retaining clip and locking block holding the retaining nut.

It will then be necessary to brass hammer or press the lug studs out, as they retain the rotor to the hub assembly.

Since the additional labor required, I would recommend doing the parking shoes at the same time.

Would you like me to attach the repair procedures? To complete the job, you'll need two hub seals, two axle gaskets. I assume the rear brakes have gotten metal to metal and chewed up a rotor?

I'm logging off for the evening. I'll be able to assist in the morning.