GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have a 2004 impala that the abs and traction light are on,

Customer Question

i have a 2004 impala that the abs and traction light are on, I have replaced both front wheel bearings and still the same. I also have an air bag light on. This started after coming back from a body shop having the hood and drivers side fender replaced do to a deer hit ( I drove the car for 2 months before getting it fixed with no lights on ). Also when I got it back had a problem with check engine light on but that has since stopped. I have had it on several different scanners but nothing shows up
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: no performance problems, if I start the car first thing in the morning and move it a few feet then turn it off the lights go out and stay out until the car sits for 8-10 hrs.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: wheel bearings, tested wheel speed sensors, hooked it to several different scanners, including a dealers.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not that I can think of
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kavey replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

The scanners you have had it on arent capable of communicating with the ABS. When you find one that is it will give you the codes. Once you get the codes I can tell you what to test.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they are able to read codes, as I said was at a gm dealer.
Expert:  Kavey replied 3 months ago.

Then your cluster is bad lighting up the lights when theres no codes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I tried replacing the dash cluster with another from the same year and model ( the car was being driven daily so I believe it to be good ) and it did the same thing. I believe that there is a grounding problem that I am missing.
Expert:  Kavey replied 3 months ago.

If it was a bad ground it would set a code.

Do you have a multimeter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do have one
Expert:  Kavey replied 3 months ago.

OK. Go ahead and check your power and grounds at the EBCM. I am attaching a pinout here.

Let me know if they are all good.