Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

My vehicle started to shake so I turned it off then it will

Customer Question

My vehicle started to shake so I turned it off then it will start back up I want to O'Reilly got some motor oil 5W30 put it in your vehicle starts up but it goes right back off I also see volts on the dashboard I was wondering what that mean
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: No I have not checked any of the fuses and what is a wiring diagram
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: Chevy Lumina 96
JA: What year is your Chevy Lumina?
Customer: 1996
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I only put the motor oil in it and yes I'm trying to fix it myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I got the car 3 days ago but I've been sitting for 6 months and need a tune-up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

as the car has been sat for long period then its quite likely that the battery may now need replacing as they need regular charging to stay in good condition

So I'd suggest the next step is to try charging the battery up overnight with a slow charger and if that doesn't help then consider replacing the battery

Also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement

Expert:  Matt replied 3 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you