Kavey, Shop Owner
Experience:  MO Safety/Emissions Certified on all makes and models with a strong electronics background aiding in electrical troubleshooting.

I have a 2003 chevy cavalier 2.2l. There is oil inside the

Customer Question

Hi i have a 2003 chevy cavalier 2.2l. There is oil inside the air tube and inside the intake manifold. The best conclusion i can come to is that the pcv is stuck open and is allowing oil to enter the throttle body/intake manifold and the air tube. Does that make any sense? Is there any other explanation for the oil to be in these places? If the PCV is the problem. there is a hose that goes from the valve cover to part of the air box/tube. I do not see a PCV valve inside the hose. Where would the valve be located?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kavey replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Your engine does not have a PCV valve.

Have you been having to add oil?Have you checked to make sure it isnt overfull on oil?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

It has been losing oil lately. quite a bit. Is there any PCV port near the manifold that would allow oil to get into the manifold? What else could cause this?

Expert:  Kavey replied 3 months ago.

You got a breather which is the hose you described. Its the PCV system it just doesnt have a "valve" its simply a hose.

Your issues go deeper than the oil in your intake. You got blow-by which is a sign of the engine not being in very good shape.. most likely worn rings.

Does it smoke out the tailpipe?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

It does smoke slightly out of the tailpipe. I have 190ish psi of compression out of all 4 cylinders though so wouldn't that rule out the possibility of worn rings?

Expert:  Kavey replied 3 months ago.

Actually yours has a PCV orifice in the intake. My mistake.

1. Remove the intake manifold.
2. Inspect a small orifice between cylinders 2 and 3 for a restriction.
3. Clean the PCV vacuum orifice and reassemble.

This will fix your issue.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you today. Thanks