Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

Replaced engine in 2006 Chevy Cobalt now the anti theft

Customer Question

Replaced engine in 2006 Chevy Cobalt now the anti theft device is lighted up on dashboard. Has tried key relearn but nothing. It is like the anti theft device is preventing any current to anything but power windows locks and lights. Suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

I would double check all the connectors and grounds you had off when you replaced the engine, making sure everything is plugged in all the way. It is sometimes easy to overlook things.

If you need more help, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question, this does not close out your question. Remember, in some cases it can be difficult to completely diagnose or help repair your vehicle without being there, but I try to give you the best possible answer with the information that I have.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

disconnect the both battery cables and hold them together for a few minutes, that should reset everything.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Touched the battery wires together for full minute. No go still nothing. Husband diesel mechanic - he doubled checked all plugs. Can the system be bypassed?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Here is a wiring diagram for the anti theft system

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
not sure wiring diagram is really an answer to the question but ok
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

No but it will help.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You need a scan tool capable of going into the body control module. You are going to need to see if there any codes stored. That would be the first step. A generic code reader will not work for this.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

If the anti theft light is on, this means there is a code stored, once you get the code, you will be able to diagnose the problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Let me know what you find and I will help you.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Also need to scan the theft deterrent control module with the scan tool.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears you’re not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help?

Thanks Dan