Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Why is my 2005 5.3 liter engine Chevy avalanche burning so

Customer Question

Why is my 2005 5.3 liter engine Chevy avalanche burning so much fuel.great on oil,no fuel leaks,
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been burning oil lately? What is the model of your '05 Chevy?
Customer: 68000,oil is great,model 1500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet,hoping to change the plugs n wiring this week
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Do I need to take it in to analyze the system?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** type of MPG are you getting? Is check engine light on? Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
1/4 tank to 30 to 40 miles no lite on
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Have you figured out how many actual miles per gallon you are getting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Accordingly it reads 12.5 mpg on the digital dash ,
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Do you do most highway or city driving? The EPA mileage on this vehicle is 11 city and 14 highway so you in normal range.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Since your mileage is considered normal the only things I'd recommend doing is cleaning mass airflow sensor with approved cleaner and cleaning oxygen sensors with approved cleaner but that will probably only get the mpg up to around 14 if you are lucky. Here is website showing manufacture MPG, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.