Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I just had a rear main seal replaced in my 2000 Chevy LS 2.2

Customer Question

I just had a rear main seal replaced in my 2000 Chevy LS 2.2 liter. But it's still leaking. What could cause it to still leak?
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? What color is the fluid?
Customer: The leak is coming from the back of the motor around the transmission housing and the fluid looks black.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just found the leak, so I was hoping to find out if something else would cause the rear main seal to leak.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** having seal replaced stop leak at all for any amount of time?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

There isn't too much that can leak oil. Possible causes of oil leaks are head gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pressure switch, timing cover, and oil pan. It sounds like shop misdiagnosed the leak so I would recommend going to shop, letting them know repair didn't help anything, and see if they will give you a discount or replace next part for free. If they are having a hard time tracing the leak you can use Dye in oil and a UV light which makes it a lot easier. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.