Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Im having a problem with my 1995 chevy camaro v6 3.4l auto.

Customer Question

im having a problem with my 1995 chevy camaro v6 3.4l auto. it has a problem starting, sometimes will take 2 or 3 trys to start it, i put the key and and go to turn on, it cranks but doesnt start the first try, car starts better with a full tank, i was told it could be the fuel pump, but i wanted to be sure befor replacing it, once i get the car started it runs fine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

any access to a fuel pressure gauge ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i myself do not have one, when the car is in accessory mode I can hear the fuel pump kick on then when I go to start it it cranks but engine won't turn on and pressing the gas does not help usually will start hard and a puff of smoke will come out exhaust
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

we need to see what the fuel pressure is reading key ON engine OFF when it will not fire up first

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

it should be 41 - 47 psi key ON engine OFF

also are there any codes being set at all ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no lights on the dash, i will have to figure out what the fuel pressure is reading
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

if the fuel pressure is reading within spec then you need to go after spark plugs or an ignition module issue

as with the puff of smoke would be a sign of un burned fuel

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you i will get back to you when i have the fuel pressure reading
Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

sounds good

Expert:  Gary replied 6 months ago.

how are you making out ?