Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a 200 chevy equinox. I have a problem with the

Customer Question

Hi I have a 200 chevy equinox. I have a problem with the temperature gauge going up to red said enhance over heated turn off car and engine hot no a/c. Brought it to mechanic and they replaced water pump, flushed radiator, replaced engine intake valve and did oil change. Still having same problem. I don't know what could be wrong I spent 1000.00 on this already and I replaced the thermostat 2 month ago. And I put a new transmission in my truck. Can you help me please
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?
Customer: I brought it back to shop and they added some more coolant. I don't know if they checked thermostat honestly
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2007 checy equinox lt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New water pump, new engine intake valve, new thermostat, flushed radiator
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Had a new Tranny put in 2 months ago too
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The auto body shop doesn't know what's wrong he suggest replacing radiator now. I just feel like they are trying to rip me off but don't know the answers
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want the auto body shop to fix it so I have a warranty
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** engines are known for head gasket failure and considering what has been replaced it sounds like that is the issue. You can have a cooling system pressure test and/or block test which checks for exhaust gas in coolant done. If it fails either test you know the head gaskets have failed. It is about a 12 hour job book rate and $250 for parts. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
you would suggest they check head gaskets first to see if they are leakimg
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Don't just do radiator first then they r just trying to make money right?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

They probably don't want to jump right to the most expensive job, they might just not know that these engines have common head gasket failure. I would ask them to do the block test to make sure head gaskets are good before replacing radiator. Let me know how it turns out or if you have more questions. Thanks..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok how long is head gasket tests take is it simple to do or they have to pull it apart. Is it costly for tests
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

The test should cost around $40-$80 and head gasket is a 12 hour job so it is a pretty big job. I'd expect cost to be around $1500. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
That's wonderful so I just put 1000 into it and now another 1500 ugh!!! I pUT a new Tranny in for 3500 already 2 months ago. The car is only worth 4500.00 I don't know whether I should trade in the car or not
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Shouldn't they have seen this problem when they replaced the engine intake valve or gasket whatever it is
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Did they replaced the intake gasket because of it overheating?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They said it was leaking
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Yes then they should have known. The intake gasket would cause a loss of coolant but not overheating. I'd ask them what you were told and ask for a discount on head gasket repair.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok I'll try. I am a women and the men just tell me I am wrong so I will push the issue
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

I'd say something like "I talked to another mechanic and they said that these engines are common for head gasket problems. They also said the intake gasket would cause a loss of coolant but not overheating. They said a block test could be done to check for exhaust gas in coolant which would tell you of head gasket is the problem? Assuming it is I'd like to have a discount for head gasket work since intake gasket was replaced for no reason". Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, good luck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you of this doesn't work I can't see radiator causing the issue although he said it was sluggish I have no clue that's why I need a man to go there to talk lol
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

The radiator could cause overheating but I highly doubt that is the problem. Let me know how it turns out, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thank you very much
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

No problem, have a good night!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi ok when they did the engine intake valve they checked the head gaskets and he said they were fine he thinks it's the radiator that's not working properly and to change that does that sound right to you
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

The radiator could cause this, I'd just let them know you don't feel like you should have to pay for repair that doesn't fix problem and to proceed has he wants. Let me know how it goes, thanks.