Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Driver side window switches and door lock switch does not

Customer Question

Driver side window switches and door lock switch does not work. Purchased whole new switch and still won't work.
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2004 Silverado extended cab
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When it first happened my dome light stayed on. Like it was something wrong with the door switch that makes dome light go out.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Yes and yes
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The switch assembly on this year and model is an actual control unit/ecu as well.It has to be programmed by a GM dealer after it is installed using their computer before your vehicle will recognize it for proper operation from there.If this was not programmed this needs done.A dealer will charge anywhere from a half hour to an hours charge for this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Then why when it first happened did the dome light stay on until I hit the cancel button. It's as if the truck thinks the door is open.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

This is due to the switch not being programmed and recognizing the latch signals properly to operate the dome light properly.I have seen this occur before as well.This switch assembly you installed is called a drivers door module and it does need programmed to work in your model properly.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I installed the new module and got no results. I removed it and put old one back in because I was told by my mechanic the module is not the problem.If I reinstall it and take it to get programed and the switched still don't work, what else could it be?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

The other common fault is broken wiring where the wiring leads from the body to the door or inside the door needing repaired.I would have the wiring checked then to see if any broken wiring is found at fault needing repaired or replaced.

Thanks Pete