GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2007 impala traction control light comes on when I've been

Customer Question

2007 impala traction control light comes on when I've been driving for a while. Today the light came on along with the check engine light. When through traction control light comes on the car doesn't shift smoothly. I've read several blogs and everyone has had a nightmare getting the dealerships to pinpoint the problem.
JA: Does the light stay on solid or does it flicker? Any noticeable performance problems lately?
Customer: Stays on but goes out upon restart. The only performance problem is the car doesn't shift smoothly.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Depends on what the problem is. I've heard the sensor on the gas and the speed control throttle among other things.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think off. Just started the car a little while ago light is out again but check engine light still on.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and I will post back with your reply ASAP

how many miles on vehicle ?

has trans service been performed

ABS modules needs to be scanned and retrieve any fault codes ?

can you take it to advance auto zone and run a scan and get me the fault codes if any is stored, if you have not done that already?

and yes that could be a number of things?

please let me know

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Haven't put a code reader on it yet. That's my next step. The reduce power has not come on or kicked on.

can you do that let me know, i m online all weekend

Chad

most common issues , will be abs sensor, abs module/pump, yaw sensor,steering angle sensor?

that is my experience with them , but we need to check , and it could be as simple as a dirty abs wheel sensor giving wrong reading and causing the shifting problem

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Will do

ok sounds good , i'm online 10 am till 12 pm

sometime might take a little to get back to you if i m busy at my shop during the day , but just post back and i will see it and reply back to you

thank you

talk to you soon

Chad(akaCustomer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I do have a right tire that needs to be replaced. It is bald on the inside. Would that cause it.

no should not just for bald tire

any noise like wheel bearing from that tire , cause now i m thinking why is it bald cause wheel bearing is bad and wheel sensor is housed in it ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No noise

then get some codes and let see and we go from there

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Should have codes by tomorrow

sounds good

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just got back from auto zone. Only code that came up was P0204 indicating a fuel injector circuit/open cylinder 4. I should mention that when the traction control light comes on is when I start accelerating from a light. It feels like I'm not moving and then I get a jerk and it takes starts to move.

check the connector for the # ***** cylinder injector

check if you have power and ground on it with a test light with car running

possibilities

1-No ground from pcm to injector

2- bad injector ,when it is getting hot it is acting up and you feeling the problem

and that will throw it in limp mode , so we have to fix p0204 first

Circuit/System Description The control module enables the appropriate fuel injector pulse for each cylinder. Ignition voltage is supplied to the fuel injectors. The control module controls each fuel injector by grounding the control circuit via a solid state device called a driver. The control module monitors the status of each driver. If the control module detects an incorrect voltage for the commanded state of the driver, a fuel injector control circuit DTC sets. Conditions for Running the DTC * The engine is running. * The ignition voltage is more than 11 volts for 5 seconds. * DTC P0201-P0206 runs continuously when the above conditions are met. Conditions for Setting the DTC * The control module detects an incorrect voltage on the fuel injector control circuit. * The above condition is met for 1 second. Action Taken When the DTC Sets DTC P0201-P0206 are type B DTCs. Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC DTC P0201-P0206 are type B DTCs. Diagnostic Aids Performing the Fuel Injector Diagnosis may help isolate an intermittent condition. Refer to Fuel Injector Diagnosis (w/J39021 or w/Tech 2) Fuel Injector Diagnosis (w/CH47976). See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Fuel Injector Diagnosis (With CH 47976) See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Fuel Injector Diagnosis (w/J39021 or w/Tech 2) Circuit/System Verification Key ON, observe the DTC information with a scan tool. DTC P0201, P0202, P0203, P0204, P0205, or P0206 should not be set. Circuit/System Testing 1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the C130 fuel injector multi-way connector. 2. Ignition ON, verify that a test lamp illuminates between the ignition circuit terminal A ECM harness side and ground ^ If the test lamp does not illuminate, test the ignition circuit for a short to ground, or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal and the ignition circuit fuse is open, test or replace the fuel injector. 3. Ignition OFF, connect a J 35616-200 between the ignition circuit terminal A and the control circuit ECM harness side, of the appropriate injector listed below: * Injector 1 terminal C * Injector 2 terminal D * Injector 3 terminal E * Injector 4 terminal F * Injector 5 terminal G * Injector 6 terminal H 4. Engine cranking, the test lamp should flash for each injector. ^ If the test lamp is always ON, test the appropriate control circuit for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM. ^ If the test lamp is always OFF, test the appropriate control circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM. 5. Ignition OFF, measure for 10-15 ohms on the engine harness side of C130 between the ignition circuit terminal A and the control circuit of the appropriate injector listed below: * Injector 1 terminal C * Injector 2 terminal D * Injector 3 terminal E * Injector 4 terminal F * Injector 5 terminal G * Injector 6 terminal H ^ If the resistance is not within the specified range, test for a short to ground or an open/high resistance between C130 and the appropriate fuel injector harness connector. If the circuits test normal, test or replace the affected fuel injector. Repair Instructions Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the diagnostic procedure. See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests * Programming and Relearning See: Vehicle > Programming and Relearning * Fuel Injector Replacement