virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 13 years working on imports and domestic cars

I have a 2008 canyon, 4 cyl that is misfiring but not

Customer Question

i have a 2008 canyon , 4 cyl that is misfiring but not setting a code to tell us what is causing the problem.where do we start looking
Category: Chevy
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So I can assist better, I need a little more info. Does it misfire sitting and idling or only under load?
And how bad is the misfire?Let me knowThanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
both and it feels like it is only running on three cyl
Awe gotcha. Ok so unplug ea coil one at a time and see which one has the least effect on the running of the engine and let me know.Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i put my code reader on truck and got 2 codes p0017 which is Cam/CrankshaftI got 2 codes,1st, p0017 which is Cam/Crankshaft pos. Correlation sensor B-bank 1 2nd p0449 EVAPE mission Control System Vent Vlv/Sol Malf.does that mean it is a timing chain issue
The first code usually is for that. Esp considering the misfire and no code. But could be a bad cam or crank sensor as well.
How many miles on your Canyon?
The second one I wouldn't worry about right now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
350,000 k
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 3 months ago.
Oh wow. Have you ever replaced the timing chain? If not, That's pretty good mileage on it and a good bet it is causing your problems. If it is stretched a ways it will cause the misfire with out a code and it will definatly cause the corilation code.Let me know if this helps or if you have any questions.Thanks
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.
Can I be ignore assistance with this problem?
If my advice was helpful would you mind rating my help?Thanks
Lol that was supposed to say "can I be of anymore assistance".
Stupid auto correct :-)