GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a trout fishing lodge in Arkansas. It's hot here now.

Customer Question

Hello, I'm Charles Newland. I have a trout fishing lodge in Arkansas. It's hot here now. Just finished taking eight of our vehicles in to check the air conditioners. Two of the units (both Suburbans) don't cook well (and never have). One is a 1998...the other is a '99. They just don't get "cold" like the others (if you drive them 30 minutes with a/c on high, you get "cold" - not so with the two Suburbans). And the '99 hardly has any air flow at the middle supply vents. Any ideas on what to check? My email is***@******.***. - Thank you.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: Yes, Charlie (the mechanic) checked everything over.
JA: What is the model of your '99 Chevy?
Customer: K1500 Suburban 4WD
5.7 (350)
1GNFK16R1XJ577079 (VIN)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, hoping to myself...but would consider all options. Haven't tried much so far.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of off hand. The '98 got a new compressor in Apr of 2011. The '99 got a new one June 2014.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david craig replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name Is ***** ***** I will try and help you as much as possible. Have you replaced the cabin filters in the suburbans?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello David, thanks for attempting to help. No, I haven't replaced cabin filters - didn't know they had them. Just looked in "owners manual", reading pages relating to a/c and in the index looking up "cabin filters" and "filters", but can't see anything about them. Do you know where the are?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello David, I just checked where the cabin filters are as per this YouTube Video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp45ToY4Pbw). But they are not there.

ok then it probably came without them. next thing to check is restriction at the front of the condenser. the condenser is located in front of the radiator. make sure it doesnt have any debri or dirt restricting air flow

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello...I checked the front condenser - it's free of restrictions, no debri or dirt.

ok, lets try this. with the engine off, key on. move the temp select knob from cold to warm then warm to cold and you should be able to hear the blend door actuator moving.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
blend door seems to be moving...runs for five seconds, or so.

5 seconds in each direction?

theres a history on those 2 years of the compressors leaking very little. they are actually a four piece component and the four mounting bolts if not properly tightened to torque spec will cause a small leak over time. not saying thats the problem, but worth checking out. also i would advise you to have the complete system properly evacuated to remove any dirt and moisture then have them reservice with new refrigerant.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
around 5 seconds in each direction. The mechanic already, just a few days ago, evacuated freon, pulled vacuum, and recharged. Also, I mentioned earlier about, "And the '99 hardly has any air flow at the middle supply vents." I was referring to the vents accessible to passengers if they were sitting in the middle seat, behind the driver's seat. There is very little air coming out those vents, while there is much better air flow out the front supply registers and the vents if you were sitting in the rear 3rd seat. Any ideas on what might be causing the low air flow?

close off all the vents in the vehicle except for second row. see how much the air flow increases

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I closed off all vents, except second row. The flow might have increased some, but not by much. Both the second row and third row seem weak. Nothing like the good air flow from 2nd & 3rd row of my '94 Suburban (I'd check the '98, but it's in the shop right now for a wheel alignment).
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, the rear a/c fan, on the right side, is noticeably loud - sort of a "growling" or "rumbling" sound.

if that fan is loud it means the bearings are going bad and isnt putting out the required flow

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You may be right - I'll order a fan (I buy a lot from O'Reilly's...they will probably know the part number, unless you know exactly which one it is; or maybe it's better to take the old one out to make sure of the replacement?). Is it fairly easy to replace?

ill send you instruction later. gotta get my butt out of this shop...been here 14 hours already

its easy to replace. just remove the right rear trim panel and youll see the fan. theres only a few screws and a connector

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks, I've got one on order at O'Reilly's - Part # ***** PM2708. Supposed to be in Tuesday.

let me know how it turns out

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello David - I had the new fan motor replaced, and it's a lot quieter (which is very nice). But it didn't really help much with air flow(still pretty weak). Can you think of anything else to check for (there's no filter back there anywhere, is there?) - thank you.

allow me to get back to you in a bit...thanks

there dont appear to be any filters back there but there are foam seals that attach to the ends of the ducting where they connect to the case. alot of time they disintegrate and need to be replaced. they are available any longer from, anywhere but you can get some foam material with double sided tape and make your own