Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Chevy Technician
Experience:  30 Years Experience repairing, customizing, and building chevys.
9795573

I have a 1986 Chevy 350 Casting Number 14088548 (86-88) but

Customer Question

I have a 1986 Chevy 350 Casting Number 14088548 (86-88) but I cannot find a casting date (Letter, Num,Num,Num) anywhere although it has what looks like a shift clock casting with the numbers 344 very clearly raised next to it on the bellhousing flange. The front behind the alternator is stamped V0127URZ (so assembled in January 87). Were some one-offs made with a different format of casting number or am I missing the casting number somewhere else (have thoroughly searched block). I need this date to pass emissions testing.
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 1986 Chevy 350 engine block with a casting Number 14088548 (86-88) but I cannot find a casting date (Letter, Num,Num,Num) anywhere on the block although it has what looks like a shift clock casting with the numbers 344 very clearly raised next to it on the bellhousing flange. At the front of the block behind the alternator is stamped V0127URZ (so the engine was assembled in January 87). Were some one-off 350s made with a different format of casting number or am I missing the casting number somewhere else (have thoroughly searched block). I need this casting date to pass emissions testing before my vehicle can be made road-legal.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.

In some cases you may have to contact a GM dealer in your area or the closest to you to see if they can tell you where these numbers are on this model here.If this is not an option for you or was already attempted with no success let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete - I am sure that you know your stuff but I asked for this question to be transferred to a USA expert rather than a British mechanic as this would be a regular question out there, the likes of which they have faced before as over 9,000,000 of these American engines were made. I received a confirmatory email stating that the question had been re-categorised to enable this to be passed to the USA experts (which is where I typed the question originally on ".com" rather than ".uk") but this does not appear to be the case. If you still have visibility of this question does this mean that it has not been asked to the USA experts?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

I know there engines very wellI have seen that casting number was used up to 1994. One thing for sure if it was assembled in January 87 it will be an 87 model engine, that might be all you have to go on. The date was manually inserted onto the sand casting for each block. It is one of the most often deformed, or just left off bits of data on the small block Chevy. It isn't common, but I have seen casting dates on the passengers side of the block, below the freeze plug that is under the motor mount. Look for it between the freeze plug and the oil pan rail. Most blocks were cast at the Towanda engine plant. What isnt well known is when they were overloaded Saginaw would do some of the casting, Saginaw was more likely to put the date on the side. One last thing is there is no absolutes on the date most all engines had them, still I have seen several that didn't have the date anywhere, I know that isn't what you want to hear. If that is the case, then the build date is the best date to fall back on. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck with it and thanks for using Just Answer.

Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

I know there engines very well, I have seen that casting number was used up to 1994. One thing for sure if it was assembled in January 87 it will be an 87 model engine, that might be all you have to go on. The date was manually inserted onto the sand casting for each block. It is one of the most often deformed, or just left off bits of data on the small block Chevy. It isn't common, but I have seen casting dates on the passengers side of the block, below the freeze plug that is under the motor mount. Look for it between the freeze plug and the oil pan rail. Most blocks were cast at the Towanda engine plant. What isnt well known is when they were overloaded Saginaw would do some of the casting, Saginaw was more likely to put the date on the side. One last thing is there is no absolutes on the date most all engines had them, still I have seen several that didn't have the date anywhere, I know that isn't what you want to hear. If that is the case, then the build date is the best date to fall back on. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Good luck with it and thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You - I will have a look in that spot tonight - may have to remove some paint though.
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 1 year ago.

It is one heck of a place for them to put it, good luck with it.