virtual auto tech.
virtual auto tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 13 years working on imports and domestic cars

How to disable the security system on the 2000 Chevy Tahoe,

Customer Question

How to disable the security system on the 2000 Chevy Tahoe
JA: What is the model of your '00 Chevy?
Customer: 2000 lt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's want crank right away I have to turn the ignition 3 are 4 times before it cranks but today it took longer had to sit and wait I changed fuel pump fuel filter and starter someone told me it maybe the security system because the security light come on sometimes
JA: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?
Customer: Stay solid
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I tried everything even brought a new transmitter
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Chevy Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  virtual auto tech. replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So the 2000 Tahoe doesn't have a security system per say. It has a sensor in the ignition lock cylinder to sense if it has a key in it as you try to start, so it can't be hot wired. But other than that it doesn't have a real security system. But if the light is coming on then the sensor may be going bad.
But it cant be disabled tho.Sorry I wish it could.Let me know if you have any questionsThanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Can the sensor be replaced
it can. The sensor is a dealer only thing. But it can be replaced. Are you wanting to replace it yourself or have someone do it?Let me know and I'll continue to help.Thanks
I strive to provide 5 star service. If I have satisfactorily answered your question please rate it as such and hit submit. Doing so is the only way I get compensated for my time. Also it doesn't close the discussion so we will still be able to communicate if there are further questions.